Sunday, September 14, 2008

Emotional Essay

EMOTIONAL ESSAY
Why does everything have to happen to the wrong people? The war in Iraq, millions of bystanders are caught within the crossfire. Why do those that deserve a second chance not receive one while others get one after the other. The most unforgettable moments in my life was when my grandfather passed away only a few days after I saw him.
He lived an amazing life, but there is one thing that left me puzzled; he had so many opportunities to die, in the end the one that didn’t cross anyone’s mind was what took his life, cancer. Jumping off an aircraft carrier with two broken legs, to staying afloat for sum 6 hours and from being shot down out of the air by a Japanese fighter jet, he must have stared death right in the eyes. He overcame odds that many would think to be impossible, but the only obstacle he couldn’t power through was cancer. I think that life is so unfair.
My grandpa deserved a second chance for everything he went through. And for something no one saw coming to end it all. He was special to me, very special. He was the first very close relative that died. I always thought when a friend told me someone in their family died it should be easy to get over; it’s a whole different story when it’s in your family. I didn’t know what to do; it’s never really hit me until we traveled back down to his house at Virginia Beach. As I entered his home, silence collapsed on me like a giant wave. No more coming to greet me at the hug with one of those big grandparent hugs. No more fishing on the dock with him. Nothing, dead silence. The room was empty. It was scary.
I felt more confused than anything. I kept asking myself the questions, is this really happening, or is he really gone? Everything felt like it was going downhill. It’s a weird feeling losing someone so close to you. I never really thought death would be hard to get over but I guess I was completely wrong about it. It lingers right beside you every step you take it is there. It’s something that you can never really get over; it is always in the back of your head somewhere.
Whenever I go somewhere I see something that reminds me of him and it brings back those happy memories which are then flushed down the toilet when I remember that he is gone. I don’t know why I thought it would be easy to get over his death. The hardest part was that nobody saw it coming, until when it hit. One week he is riding miles on his bike and then the next he can barely get out of a chair. It all came as a very big surprise when we found out he had cancer. Even though he has left us physical, he will remain in our hearts forever.

1 comment:

Ms. Wiesner said...

Fragment, "The war in Iraq, millions of bystanders are caught within the crossfire."

Make sure to put question marks at the end of questions.

You need to go through the whole thing and check for grammar and punctuation errors.

Good sentence: "He lived an amazing life, but there is one thing that left me puzzled; he had so many opportunities to die, in the end the one that didn’t cross anyone’s mind was what took his life, cancer."

This is a place where you could tell us all that he went through, "My grandpa deserved a second chance for everything he went through."

Very nice, "silence collapsed on me like a giant wave."

This sentence doesn't work, "which are then flushed down the toilet when I remember that he is gone."

You don't describe what kind of cancer he had, or how quickly he died after you found out. There are a lot of details here which you could add to make your story more emotional and more interesting.