Sunday, March 29, 2009

WA-7 2nd (Final)

The sun slowly awakened from its restful sleep and peeked its head over the mountain range afar. Its rays settled upon my tribe. My name is Ade Chi-Chike Enam. My name means “Gift from the powerful, royal God.” I am the oldest son in the Chike Enam royal family. Our family was recently blessed with a newborn baby, a boy, Taji Muhammed-Chike Enam. He would also be in line to inherit the family throne. I was born five years ago and this is my story from a toddler in a cradle to a man in a throne.

My empirical destiny originated 5 years ago in a hut in village twenty miles south of the Uganda and Rwanda border. The hut had a dusty brown look from the inside. The floor was a mixture of tough African soil and imported straw from grasslands afar. And on the outside it appeared like a stationed billboard, consisting of Velvex Napkin ads, and US Postal Box logos. To the outside world it didn’t amount to much but to me it was as royal as royal could get. Never the less it was more advanced than any other living structure you would find within miles.

As I experienced daylight for the first time, tribal personal began to gather in a horseshow around the entrance to our hut. Smiling and pointing at me, they began to cheer. As if a lightning bolt had hit them a feeling of excitement jolted them at once, realizing there was a promising future in my control of the tribe. Many years past and I grew from holding a rattle to holding a spear. I began to aid my father more and more in hopes his actions and thought process would rub off on me. His duties would before long become my responsibility. My father Ekon Chi-Chike Enam was happy of the outcome of his oldest son. My sister had become a grown woman and started a family of her own. Her hut was a mere two huts over. Even as time grew on our family was never too far apart. Once my younger brother Taji reached an appropriate age, he slowly but surely began to follow in mine and my father’s footsteps.

The year came; it was my turn to step up to the plate. I was only 22 and yet my father believed I was ready to lead the tribe. My father had taught me everything; from issues big and small. He wanted the following generation to be as successful as himself in leading a successful and productive tribe. When the day would come he wanted to look at me and see an image of himself. That day had come. The ceremony began. My father sat in his throne as everyone gather and began to chant the tribal chant. The drums began a slow rolling beat and then increased in speed second by second. As I stood from a sitting position to kneeling at my father’s feet, the drums temp began to electrify the whole congregation. My father raised his hands in the air and clenched his fist, silence. His voiced rumbled across the crowd of tribal folk. His arms came to rest upon my shoulders, I stood as I was told and my father returned to his throne. The finest warrior in the land stepped before the crowd, his name was Adofo Ade Bomani. He was feared by all who opposed him in battle. He stepped up before my father and removed his tribal crown. He placed his arms on my father’s shoulders and my father stepped down from his throne. His tribal crown was passed down to me. I took his place in the thrown. My era had finally begun. After all those years of being taught from the highest ran, it was my turn now. It was time to lead my tribe to greatness. There would be no let down in the absence of my father.

At the moment I am sitting on my throne and recalling highlights of my life in this diary. It’s composed of paper scraps bound by a larger section of cloth and twine. My father died not too many years ago. And my mother is still alive and well. Mending the royal hut was getting harder and harder for her so Taji, my younger brother, is beginning to assist her more and more. My sister has a family of her own with grown children. My father prepared us well for our future knowing his time would come soon enough. I believe he still guides us through life’s most difficult obstacles despite his absence here on earth. He prepared us for anything life could throw in our way. His ideas will be carried down from generation by generation. His legacy will be everlasting.

No comments: